So, I’m coming to the conclusion that I just don’t have enough space in my brain to pursue everything that I want to. The advice that I have been given seems consistent: Lay out everything you want to do and prioritize it. What better place to start working out my personal life than on a public forum? I’m hoping there are some people out there who have experienced similar dilemmas and can share their experience with me.
The top priorities in my life are:
- God (reading, learning, praying, church)
- Family (Wife, child)
- Writing (Pre-writing, learning, reading, writing, editing, marketing)
- Coffee (roasting, learning, drinking, blogging, working towards a cart currently)
- Physical activity (mud runs, hiking, fitness, learning to skateboard, etc)
- My house (cleaning and fixing it up)
- Friends and extended family (get together to maintain relationships)
- Day job (pays the bills and quality of life)
There are about 3 to many things on there to really be effective. That means my brain can only handle so many and the ones it can’t handle are being neglected. Then I feel guilty for neglecting things that I want to do, resulting in a vicious cycle of ineffectiveness.
The first question I feel like I need to ask is, where do I want to be. This is how I would like my priority list to look:
- Coffee (as day job)
- Physical activity
- Friends and extended family
This would be ideal. It would allow me to really put effort into all the right places. It would put me in tune with who I am and what I want to achieve in life. The big question is, how do I get there? I can see right off the bat that I need to get my house in order. We just moved into it a few months and it has been difficult to get everything done with the addition of our daughter. So maybe I focus on that and get it to a good spot, and then I can put it on the back burner for a few years. The most difficult one is to figure out how to transition my day job to coffee. I have to make a certain amount of money to maintain my family’s well being. Most coffee shops don’t provide what I would need. How do I make that happen?
I think I will ponder that while working on my house this weekend.